Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I wish I had a Ugandan Job



I think I want to be an employee in Uganda also. This morning after two months of seriously putting pressure on two supervisors to get a tree removed from my compound. Also, after the highest up supervisor has given strict orders to remove every branch. I became tired. I hatched a new plan. Outside my gates there are many people who collect firewood and are more than happy to carry it off for me. I simply had to confirm it with the office to make sure they knew I was not allowing people to steal. The finance manager, who is the only office manager on site for the past month, heard my plan, spoke to the other managers involved and refused to allow me to implement the plan and revealed to me that she had already paid the guy who was supposed to remove the tree. 

Two hours later I asked my supervisor in training to handle the distribution of 8 sweaters to a particular class. The children who were waiting for their sweaters, while the supervisor-in-training was tending to a parent who had come to pick up a gift the child’s sponsor had sent from Germany. She was going into elaborate detail about what each item was and what they were supposed to serve for. The entire fixation over western crap took 25 minutes while the children who were waiting for their sweaters missed class and the two old ladies ready to carry firewood looked on in utter fascination. After lunch and after giving reviews to two teachers on their performance, I came to see that the sweater distribution was still not accomplished and that the tree was still not removed and that the supervisor in training had left for the day without notice and called 2 hours later to tell me she had issues at home and wasn’t coming back for the remainder of the day. I called my husband to see what he was doing and where he was at in supervising a project site he had been delaying to visit since Monday, due to a schedule conflict on Monday, a family burial on Tuesday and today he was now too tired to go because the burial required that he be up all night and he was catching up on sleep at home.

Me too, I say. Me too. I want to relax and refuse to do my duties at my job also and just leave any time I choose!...But instead I overwork. (Sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment