Sunday, October 6, 2013

Unfinished work

I woke up at 3 am last night in a panic. I couldn't get back to sleep as I looked at the unfinished walls. How am I going to get this done? Sending out a universal request for help didn't have good results. Asking individuals to help with certain projects helped a little. There is so much more to do. I began looking online and found some carpenters and handymen. That might work. I also remembered by morning that a family friend had told me of a young man who was looking to do handy man work, while his case for asylum gets processed.

I know if I were still in the Mennonite community I would just hire a young Mennonite to come over and do this and that. I'd trust him better than the handymen from the Yellow Pages. Further, I recalled the days when my parents were overwhelmed with more work than they could handle. The church would arrange a "shaf taug" (work day) and a bunch of people would come over and the camaraderie would help the work get done in short order.

I feel like a fish out of water in my current situation. After some plumbing disasters by professionals, I've avoided contractors and opted to fix things myself. One expensive disaster could have been avoided had the plumber read the directions listed on a large sticker posted on the product.


No comments:

Post a Comment